The Rajya Sabha on Wednesday witnessed a heated argument between Human Resources Development Minister Smriti Irani and Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati over Dalit PhD scholar Rohith Vemula’s suicide.
Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani gave a fiery speech in Lok Sabha on Wednesday while defending herself regarding the Hyderabad University and Jawaharlal Nehru University controversies.
Irani lashed out at the Congress and even got a tad emotional during her speech. Evidently, prepared for a stormy session, Irani came with stack of papers proving that she had done her homework on the two issues. Here’s a list of statements she made in Lok Sabha.
- I am being accused of discrimination. Let me tell you something, I have always spoken about him as a student, not a Dalit student.
- Rohith’s body was used as a political tool. When his body was found, a doctor was not allowed to visit him till 6:30 next morning. “Rohith Vemula was used for political benefits, I will give you proof. I called up Telangana CM KCR as soon as I got to know about the incident, only to request to help in law and order situation. I was told ‘sahab’ is busy. My call is on record. I am yet to receive his phone call.
- Have you ever seen Rahul Gandhi go to one spot twice? No, he saw a political opportunity, so he went to JNU.
- The people in the Executive Committee who suspended Vemula were not appointed by NDA but by UPA, and a Dalit warden was co-opted into the committee.
- I have said it time and again that ‘shiksha ko ranbhoomi mat banao’, don’t make education a battleground.
- If I had mentioned Chanakya, I would be accused of being ‘saffron’, hence I quoted a Roman.
- You think you can punish me by cornering me? You want to punish me for Amethi? That will not happen. I will not apologise for doing my duty. If you have the courage, you should listen to my answer today.
- Umar Khaled misled the JNU administration. He said in the application form that he was organising a poetry reading session, but held a political event.
- Rahul Gandhi once said all Vice Chancellors are members of the RSS. If he can get one VC to say that they tried to ‘saffronise’ the colleges in India, I will quit politics.