Grapes are popularly called as the Queen of Fruits and are categorized into three variants based on their color – Reds, Greens and Blacks/Blues. They belong to the family of Vitaceae. Apart from their good taste and color, did you know that Grapes are very good for your health?
Good color is the key to a good and sensible flavor.
- White or green grapes are the sweetest.
- Red grapes have the simplest flavor;
- Blue/black grapes taste the best if their color is deep and rich, i.e., nearly black.
Grapes can be consumed in many ways, they can be eaten raw or they can also be used in making juice, wine, and jelly or Grape seed oil. Although Grapes are very small and tiny in size, they have numerous nutrients, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins which keep us healthy, fit and fine.
Health Benefits of Grapes:
1. Migraine: Migraine can be cured using grapes. In fact, ripe grape juice is an age old home remedy for migraine. The ripe juice should be taken pure, without adding water to it early in the morning.
2. Alzheimer’s disease: Resveratrol in grapes helps in reducing the levels of amyloidal-beta peptides in patients who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. Grapes are also helpful in enhancing the health of brain and delay the onset of neurodegenerative diseases.
3. Indigestion: Grapes help in preventing dyspepsia. They are responsible for curing indigestion and irritation of the stomach.
4. Breast cancer: Recent study says, purple colored Concord grape juice helps in preventing breast cancer. During an experiment, significant reduction in breast tumor mass was seen after the person was fed with the grape juice on a daily basis.
5. For vision: The most well-known health benefit of grapes is on the eyes. Grapes are very good for eyes. Grapes are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, which are responsible for maintaining good eye health as we age.
6. Blood cholesterol: Pterostilbene is a compound which is present in grapes and that helps lower the cholesterol level.
7. Kidney disorders: Grapes help in reducing the acidity of uric acid and also try to eliminate the acid from the system which results in the reduction of pressure on the kidneys.
8. Asthma: Grapes have high assimilatory power which helps in increasing the level of moisture present in lungs. Grapes are considered to have high therapeutic value for asthma.
9. Antibacterial activity: Red grapes are rich in antibacterial and antiviral properties and protect you from various infections. It has antiviral properties as well which is effective against poliovirus and herpes simplex virus.
10. Constipation: Grapes are terribly effective in overcoming constipation. They’re thought of as a laxative food, as they are rich in sugar, organic acid and polyose. They conjointly relieve chronic constipation by toning up the stomach.
Grapes: Skin Benefits
Grapes are considered to be one of the best foods for overall skincare. They are loaded with phytochemicals and phytonutrients which possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Grapes are also rich in vitamin C which is vital for good health of the skin. Grapes offer the following benefits in the context of skin:
11. Protection against sunburns: The fleshy part of grapes as well as the extract of its seeds contains proanthocyanidins and resveratrol which are powerful antioxidants. Application of grape seed extract on the skin provides protection against harmful ultraviolet radiation. It acts as a sunscreen, by reducing the redness caused due to sunburn and also minimizes the damage borne by the skin cells. It is due to this feature that grape seed extracts and resveratrol are often used as ingredients in sunscreen lotions.
12. Anti-ageing benefits: Free radicals are the main cause of premature ageing which is characterized by the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. The antioxidants present in grapes, along with vitamin C, protect the skin from the harmful effects of free radicals, and reverse the appearance of wrinkles and dark spots. Grapes also help in toning the skin. If practiced regularly, rubbing the pulp of a few seedless grapes on the face in a circular motion and rinsing it after about 20 minutes will help in reducing the formation of wrinkles
13. Skin softener: Grape seed extract is rich in vitamin E which retains the moisture of the skin. This extract also acts as an exfoliant. Scrubbing the skin with it results in the removal of the top layer of dead cells, thus making skin healthier and smoother than before. Grape seed oil is gentle on the skin and can be an excellent moisturizer. A massage with this oil is known to hydrate the skin
14. Rejuvenates the skin: Certain organic acids that are present in grapes facilitate the rejuvenation of skin cells. Grapes contain vitamin C which is necessary for collagen formation. Collagen forms up to 70% of the dry weight of human skin and is vital for the growth of cells and blood vessels and for providing strength and firmness to the skin. Moreover, grapes make the skin free from diseases by removing toxins from the body. Resveratrol present in grapevines protects the skin against harsh weather. It also rejuvenates the skin and reduces discoloration.
15. Cures uneven skin tone: Green grapes are very effective in curing uneven skin tones. Squeeze out the juice of green grapes and apply it on the skin. Let it dry. Rinse the juice off after some time. This will help in toning the skin.
16. Lightens scars: Green grapes help in lightening the scars that are caused due to acne. Vitamin C in grapes encourages the formation of scar tissues and ligaments and helps to repair the skin. Dust a bunch of green grapes with 1 tablespoon of alum and 1 tablespoon of salt. Keep them wrapped in a foil and bake them for quarter of an hour. Apply the juice of these grapes on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water. This is sure to visibly lighten the scars.
17. Youthful appearance: Green grapes speed up metabolism and induce perspiration, thus giving skin a youthful and radiant appearance.
Grapes: Hair Benefits
Maintaining long and shiny tresses in todays’ scenario is an arduous task. We are faced with a myriad of hair problems ranging from dandruff, split ends and premature greying to loss of hair thanks to an unhealthy lifestyle and exposure to pollution. Consumption of grapes is good for hair due to the following reasons:
18. Encourages hair growth: Grapes are natural antioxidants which increase blood circulation in the scalp. This encourages hair growth. The age old saying that ‘oiling the hair makes it long and lusturous’ is undoubtedly true. Grape seed oil, extracted from the seeds of grapes is odorless, green oil having a light and non-greasy texture. This gets absorbed into the scalp easily, making hair soft, shiny and manageable.
19. Treatment of dandruff: Regular application of grape seed oil can help combat seborrheic dermatitis, an itchy scalp condition in adults, and cradle cap in infants. Being a good moisturizer, this oil helps in removing dry flakes from the scalp and improves blood circulation.
20. Treatment of hair-loss: Grapes are also beneficial in combating hair-loss. The vitamin E and linoleic acid present in grape seed oil strengthen the follicles, making hair strong and healthy. This oil is also beneficial in treating split ends, brittleness and breakage of hair due to rough handling.
21. Aromatherapy: Due to its non-greasy texture, grape seed oil does not leave a residue on the scalp. It is light, has good emollient properties and is suited for all skin types making it an oil which is apt to be used in aromatherapy.
Eating: Grapes like a few other fruits can be consumed either when fresh or frozen. Grapes should be removed from the refrigerator 30 minutes before eating to bring them to an ideal temperature of about 60F.
Enjoy & Be Healthy